Abilities are a core element of the world of unORDINARY. Almost everyone is born with a supernatural ability, which ranges from destructive lasers and energy grenades to invisibility and mind reading.
Physical Signs Edit
While abilities often vary from person to person, regardless of what ability one has, a user's eyes will glow in their signature colour which are usually the brightened version of the user’s eye color. In abilities that involve generating a construct, such as Projectile Generation abilities or Barrier, the constructs made will be in the user’s signature color, or the color of their hair, like John. The only exceptions to this so far are Wenqi's Speed which encases her in a red aura as opposed to yellow, and Remi’s lightning bolts.
Abilities give out an aura -usually in the user’s hair or eye color- when activated. The aura can surround a certain part of their body when it is enhancing that body part or firing a projectile weapon. It usually also projects that aura around the user as well.
Abilities play a central role in the story's conflict and most of the minor storylines.
- The Beginning Arc deals with the everyday life of someone without an ability (a major deviation from the norm).
- The Kovoro Mall Arc deals with how abilities affect public society.
- The Turf War Arc introduces the concept of Turf Wars, ability-enhanced battle royales between combatants known as Royals.
- The Investigation Arc delves into a wider range of societal concepts, like superheroes and vigilantism, EMBER, the legal system, contraband books like Unordinary, and a general view of abilities in the social hierarchy.
- The Suspension Arc, the effects of abilities on home life and bullying are also shown and looked more deeply into.
- The Project Partners Arc looks at inter-tier relationships and how low-tiers and the powerless interact with high-tiers.
- The True Colours Arc investigates the issues of corrupt, extremist or dictatorial high-tiers in positions of power.
- The Trio Trouble Arc dealt with how abilities affect crime, security, and the authorities.
- The Monster Arc introduced the first meta-ability.
- The Aftermath Arc delves deeper into the lives of those with powerful abilities.
- In the Rage Arc, we see how a high-tiers reacts when a threat on their lives is made. It also introduces drugs that can suppress or damage abilities.
- In the Secrets Arc, we can see how a person who lost their ability copes with their new life as a cripple.
- In the Vigilant Arc, we see what drives a high-tier to become a superhero. It also delves deeper into the lives of low-tiers, who've been abandoned by society, as well as introduce an ability enhancing drug.
- The current arc delves into the reaction from other tiers when a high-tier loses their ability.
Obtaining Abilities Edit
Abilities are, at least partially, a hereditary trait. The innate potential of one's ability is inherited from their parents. The type of ability also seems to be hereditary, as shown by Seraphina sharing an ability with her mother and Remi sharing an ability with her brother.
New ways to use one's ability can be discovered over time by training and practicing.
Currently, it is unknown if powerless people have latent abilities or can gain abilities through artificial means.
- Main article: Standard Gauging System
Users of an ability are given an ability level based on the innate potential of their ability (which is inherited and immutable) and the extent to which its user has mastered it (which can be trained). Users are then divided into one of four ability tiers (and one subcategory) based on their ability level, which affects their social standing, reputation, and prestige. These tiers are: low, mid, elite, and high (as well as the special subcategory god).
All abilities in unOrdinary are primarily active, meaning they require a conscious decision to be activated. This results in the user's eyes glowing, as well as other parts of their body, depending on the user. For example, Needles and Missiles cause the user's palms to glow.
Although most low-tiers and mid-tiers only have a single method of using their ability, elite-tiers and high-tiers, especially Turf War participants, have honed multiple techniques from their ability. Arlo's Barrier is not only defensive, but can also deflect physical damage and allow only certain people to enter or exit. An even better example is Blyke's Energy Beam. When attacking, he can use a single powerful, long-range shot or multiple, smaller, throwable spheres. When defending, his beams can propel him across a wide area, greatly increasing his speed, or deflect other ranged attacks.
For high-tiers, their mastery of their ability also causes it to manifest passively. Three examples of this can be found in Remi's electrical current detection, Arlo's invulnerability, and John's ability to detect the aura's from other people when they have powered up.
According to Uru-chan's stat sheets, there are five main traits every ability has: Defence, Power, Speed, Recovery, and Trick. Additionally, there are type-dependent traits like range, accuracy, efficiency, recharge rate, and up-time.
Power is the raw offensive strength of an ability; in other words, how much it hurts when it hits. An ability with higher power than another does not always defeat it, especially if the ability with a lower power is used creatively. Abilities like Lightning and Super Strength have high power.
Defense is, as the name suggests, how well an ability can counter attacks and protect its user from harm. Abilities with high defense do not necessarily have low power and vice-versa. Abilities like Barrier and Stone Skin have high defense.
Recovery is a measure of the medical capabilities of an ability, or how it well it could help the user recover. In general, this is limited to Medical abilities or certain Physical Enhancement abilities. Abilities like Healing and Regeneration have high recovery.
Trick is a trait that shows how well an ability can surprise or outplay another ability, despite being at a disadvantage in terms of raw power. Abilities with high trick can have psychological effects or hidden aspects and applications. Abilities like Ability Mimicry and Nightmare have high trick.
Known Abilities Edit
A list of all known abilities can be found here.